This MOD is written to provide the most precise similar topics it can find with minimal impact to your board's performance. It uses a MySQL FULLTEXT search that scans topic titles only, not posts, to quickly find matches. There are admin control panel settings available to fine tune the display and performance of the similar topics to best meet the needs of your phpBB board.
MOD Download: Precise Similar Topics
MOD Repository: http://github.com/VSEphpbb/similartopics/tree/master
Credits: To the best of my knowledge, this MOD was originally written by tas2580 (aka Tobi at phpbb-seo.de) as 'Similar Topics'. It was then modified by Xabi into 'Precise Similar Topics' offering a lighter and more precise query. My 'Precise Similar Topics II' is a complete rewrite/packaging of their basic SQL query that takes this MOD all the way to a complete, customizable, efficient and pretty implementation for your phpBB board.
- Displays a list of the most similar/relevant topics at the bottom of the current topic page.
- Uses a precise and light MySQL query to search topic titles for matches.
- Similar topics are sorted in order of decreasing relevance.
- Adjust how many Similar Topics to display per page.
- Adjust the age-span of topics to display (ie: display similar topics from the past year only).
- Individually enable/disable the display of similar topics in each forum.
- You can exempt certain forums from being searched for similar topics.
- You can define which forums can share similar topics with other forums.
- A query caching option reduces SQL overhead on large boards.
- Permission settings for users and groups determine who can view similar topics.
- Forum read-access permissions are respected
- Multi-lingual support for stop-words (common words that are ignored).
- Attractive Prosilver and Subsilver2 integration.
- Very fast and easy to install.
- AutoMOD compatible.
- Requires MySQL 4.0.1 or later using MyISAM tables (this is the default table type for most MySQL databases).
- Similar topic searches are not case sensitive
- Short words (less than 4 letters) are ignored
- Stopwords are ignored (the, and, some, etc.) full list of stopwords
- Non-English boards rely on phpBB's built-in ignore-word list to filter out stop words in other languages
- If a word is present in more than 50% of all topic titles, it is too common and is treated as a stopword and is ignored.
Prosilver: Subsilver2: ACP Admin Page: ACP Permissions: